These delectably named bowls are a perfect and fulfilling salad, jam-packed with a rainbow assortment of nutrient-dense veggies!
The nutty, tangy marinated tempeh and sweet roasted carrot round out the crisp darker greens and crunchy cabbage and the creamy dressing tops it all off.
These bowls are perfect for lunch or dinner and can be bulked up with any type of grain: rice, quinoa, bulgur, etc. The world is your oyster! I invite you to play around with the flavouring for your marinade and dressing, find what tastes delicious for you!
- 1/4 of a red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- a quarter to a half a broccoli head, chopped into large bites
- sliced broccoli leaves, can substitute with spinach or kale
- garlic scapes, sliced into small pieces
- mixed greens: ex: dinosaur kale, red lettuce, romaine, curly leaf, etc.
- green onions
- 1/2 cup (at least) Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (at least) honey
- 1/4 cup of tahini or peanut butter or BOTH
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- tempeh (marinate in: ginger, tahini, maple syrup, miso, vinegar)
- Make your marinade to taste with the above ingredients. (TRUST YOUR tastebuds, you got this!) Marinate your tempeh for about 30 minutes while you make your meal.
- Marinate the cabbage in a bowl with 2-3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with salt and honey. Set aside while you prep the rest of the veggies. (Mix it up every 10 minutes.)
- Chop the rest of your vegetables, green onions and your marinated tempeh into bite sized strips.
- On medium high pan, add EVOO and fry tempeh for a few minutes until browned, set aside. Cook carrot, broccoli, and garlic scapes with salt, pepper and chilli flakes until browned.
- Make your salad dressing: blend 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp of honey, half to a whole lime, 1-2 tbsp of ginger, 1 tbsp miso, 1/4 cup of tahini/peanut butter, 2-3 cloves of garlic and 2-3 tbsp of water in a nutribullet or food processor. (You can also whisk this in a bowl with the grated garlic and ginger.)
- Mix the cabbage and salad greens, top with cooled cooked veggies and tempeh. Add dressing and green onions.