Hippy bowls aren’t just for hippies!
They’re so versatile and truly satisfying. A perfect combination of sweet, salt and fat from the dressings and marinades for whichever protein your heart so desires. (I prefer to use tempeh, tofu, free-range chicken or salmon.)
You can literally replace any vegetable in this recipe with any other vegetable you may have. That’s what makes this recipe something you can come back to time and time again.
The turmeric dressing is creamy, nutty, a little sweet and tart all in one. The recipe might make a little extra than you need, but you’d rather have too much than too little with this stuff, it’s delish!
– 2-4 servings of cooked quinoa/brown rice
– tempeh + sliced mushrooms (or another protein) pre-marinated
– sweet potato, diced
– carrot, diced
– kohlrabi, diced
– pickled beets (optional), diced
– greens, any kind, cleaned and chopped
– cucumber, diced
– extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup
– soy sauce, 1/4 cup
– maple syrup, 2-3 tbsp
– garlic, 1-2 cloves minced
– nut butter/ raw cashews/ tahini, 1/4 cup
– extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup
– cider vinegar, 1/4 cup
– honey/maple syrup, 1 tbsp
– turmeric, 2 tsp
– dijon 2 tsp
– garlic, 1 clove
- Marinate your tempeh and mushrooms. Whisk together the marinade ingredients and toss them in for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 420°F.
- Dice your roasting veggies in equal sizes. I used sweet potato, carrot, and kohlrabi but you can use an assortment of whatever vegetables you like.
- Stick your veggies in the oven and start frying your tempeh and mushrooms (or whichever protein you chose) in an oiled pan on medium-high heat. They should be nice and browned in about 10-15 minutes.
- Check on your veggies, flip them and cook them for another 10-15 minutes.
- Clean and chop your fresh toppings, You can use any type of greens and fresh cucumber, I also used pickled beets, (Get creative! You could use radish, carrot, sprouts, etc.)
- Place your cooked grains in the bottom of your serving bowls. Then top with greens, roasted veggies, fresh toppings and your tempeh and mushrooms (or chosen protein.)
- Drizzle dressing on top.