When does the dream end and the fantasy (I mean breakfast) begin? Who needs reality with this delicious smoothie bowl.
This bowl is so satisfying and keeps you full for hours thanks to the extra hit of protein and fibre from the oats and chia. You can tinker around with which fruits you like best and omit the spirulina if you don’t have any.
Spirulina is an incredible addition to recipes when you pair it with the right flavours. Algae is a superfood certainly worth thinking about if you’ve never tried any, an astronaut approved powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. The flavour of it alone can be a bit intense for the faint of heart but I promise blended with delicious berries and a quality protein powder it’s delicious.
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- cinnamon + salt
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 scoop of protein poweder (I use Sunwarrior Natural Vegan)
- nutmilk, juice or water
- banana, fresh berries
- meusli or granola
- nuts, seeds, dried fruits
- Mix together everything for your bircher meusli except the nutmilk in a small bowl. Pour in just enough milk to cover the oatmeal and let it sit for a couple hours or overnight.
- Place everything into a blender except the liquid. Pour just enough so that the liquid sits about a half-inch below the line of frozen fruit. (You want your smoothie to be extra thick.)
- Pour your blended smoothie into a bowl and top with the bircher meusli. Serve with a mix of your favourite topping.
*Nutrition facts don’t include toppings.