This is a super simple and delicious way to fix a cravin’ for Thai curry. It’s fresh, delicious and only takes a couple Thai pantry staples like fish sauce and curry paste. It’s loaded with veggies, beneficial herbs, spices and light on calories.
With a pandemic among us, I’m feeling the urge to keep my recipes easy, affordable and light on the ingredients list. With that said, good food brings joy (and takes a certain amount of aromatics.) We still want to bring authentic flavours home to your kitchen.
This recipe is designed to allow you to be flexible and creative with what you have in your own kitchen. This soup is more like a base recipe, it is meant to be built upon and many things can be added to it. BUT it’s also delicious simply the way it is.
So feel free to alter your flavouring with whatever sauces and dressings you might have at home. Make this many times with various toppings and vegetable/protein choices!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 inch knob of peeled ginger, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup Thai red (or green) curry paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock OR bouillon cube mixed in water
- 1 small can of diced tomato OR 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- kale, spinach, bell pepper OR feel free to use whatever fresh vegetables you have on hand (ex. broccoli, celery, carrot, bok choy) *be sure to thinly slice larger vegetables so they cook faster*
- 20-25 shrimp OR 2 cubed chicken breasts OR half a block of pre-fried, cubed tofu/tempeh
- rice/egg/soba noodles (enough for a half portion each)
- fresh citrus, cilantro, basil or green onions to top.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Sauté your garlic, ginger and onion.
- Add fish sauce, curry paste, tomato and cook for a minute.
- Add coconut milk and chicken stock, cook until slightly thickened. (Add chicken if using here.)
- Add your shrimp, tofu or tempeh along with whatever fresh veggies you have and cook for a few more minutes.
- Ladle soup over cooked noodles and top with your favourite fresh herbs and lemon/lime.